Thursday, October 15, 2009

Leave Meghan Alone!!

For those who may be unfamiliar with Meghan McCain, she is the 24 year old daughter of Senator and former Presidential candidate John McCain. She gained notoriety by blogging about her experience on the campaign trail with her dad at her blog, McCain Blogette During the campaign I perused her blog a few times and I found it mildly annoying and not terribly interesting.

What I found to be more interesting was how Meghan was trying to become a young fresh face of the Republican party (which, by the way, they need.) In many ways she has succeeded. She has appeared on the Colbert report and has described herself as "Pro-sex, pro-life, pro-gay marriage." She is also a columnist for The Daily Beast and has written some interesting though certainly not groundbreaking pieces. Confession - I kinda like Meghan McCain. I agree with her on some things, disagree on others, but I admire the way she has taken a stance on issues like gay rights when that's not the popular stance within the party. I'm not saying she should be given a award or anything for tolerating gay people, but she's doing her thing.

By putting herself out there in the public arena and being more or less a political figure, she is definitely opening herself up to criticism. But I think much of it is unwarranted.

The first time I recall Meghan really being "in the news" was for something that had nothing to do with politics at all. Well, maybe a little. It started when Meghan criticized Ann Coulter in one of her articles on the Daily Beast. (another reason why I like Meghan McCain. Seriously that took balls. Ann Coulter is a powerful and detestable figure in the Republican party - IMHO) But instead of responding to Meghan's writing or ideas, conservative talk show host Laura Ingraham mocked her by saying:

Ok, I was really hoping that I was going to get that role in the Real World, but then I realized that, well, they don’t like plus-sized models. They only like the women who look a certain way. And on this 50th anniversary of Barbie, I really have something to say.

Cause it's totally cool to not only mock her but also make fun of her weight. Yes, that's what two women who are prominent figures in the media should be discussing.

So that died down, but now McCain finds herself back in the news again. Ever the tweeter (cause that's what the cool kids are doing now!), Meghan recently posted a pic of herself with a book in hand along with the tweet, my "spontaneous" night in is my Andy Warhol biography and takeout....I'm getting old

The reason it made news is because she's wearing a low cut tank top and she's showing a lot of cleavage. (pic is off Twitter but you can see it on the link) Apparently she got a lot of hurtful comments, people calling her a slut etc. because she subsequently posted the following tweets:

so I took a fun picture not thinking anything about what I was wearing but apparently anything other than a pantsuit I am a slut, this is

why I have been considering deleting my twitter account, what once was fun now just seems like a vessel for harassment

when I am alone in my apartment, I wear tank tops and sweat pants, I had no idea this makes me a "slut", I can't even tell you how hurt I am

I do want to apologize to anyone that was offended by my twitpic, I have clearly made a huge mistake and am sorry 2 those that are offended.


My take on this is that it's ridiculous that it's making news. She is a 24 year old woman and she shouldn't have to apologize for a picture she posted on her twitter account.

It's not like she's Miley Cyrus (not saying that Miley Cyrus should or should not have apologized for her racy photos, but I feel there is a different aspect involved when it's a minor, who is a public figure, whose fan base is 5 year olds) In this case though, if you don't like the picture, don't follow her on twitter anymore! For crying out loud. One commenter posted, “You knew you were posting a nearly NSFW [not safe for work] photo, so don’t pretend like you’re surprised at people’s reaction.”

"Not Safe For Work?" Here's an idea, don't be on Twitter at work!! (confession #2, I've been on Twitter at work before. Shh.) But seriously, get over it. She has boobs. Yes, the way the picture was taken it kinda looks like she was trying to show them off, but I honestly don't think she did it for the attention or wanted attention for that. And I also don't think she is obligated to put on a parka if she's posting a picture of herself. Just like we, the public, are not obligated to follow her on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment