Sunday, December 20, 2009

I'll Tell You What I Want, What I Really Really Want...

...how about some more "girl power?" I get so disappointed when I hear songs by young female artists where the message is "Guy likes me; yay I'm so happy!" "Guy doesn't like me... aww I'm so sad." I'm not trying to dismiss the emotional roller-coaster that is often young love, nor am I trying to reduce feminism to the Spice Girls...but some songs are so annoying that they must be called out.

I've written before about Kelly Clarkson's "My Life Would Suck Without You," in which the nauseating message is self explanatory. Today I would like to discuss "According to You" by Orianthi (no idea if that is her real name).

This song was deceptive. It started out with catchy lyrics and beat. The first verse:

According to you
I'm stupid,
I'm useless,
I can't do anything right.
According to you
I'm difficult,
hard to please,
forever changing my mind.
I'm a mess in a dress,
can't show up on time,
even if it would save my life.
According to you. According to you.


:::Cue instrumental break:::

I was sitting in my car after a long day of work. It was the first time I had heard this song... I kinda like it, I thought. This is it! Next verse she is totally gonna rip into this guy. She is gonna say how awesome she is, and if he doesn't see that, then he can suck it!! YES!!

Second verse:

But according to him
I'm beautiful,
incredible,
he can't get me out of his head.
According to him
I'm funny,
irresistible,
everything he ever wanted.
Everything is opposite,
I don't feel like stopping it,
so baby tell me what I got to lose.
He's into me for everything I'm not,
according to you.


NOOOO!!! I was tricked. This was not the anti Twilight, Spice Girls reincarnate message that I was hoping for. I mean it's cool that she found someone who likes her for her and I guess now she is kinda rubbing it in the first guy's face... but what happens when guy #2 suddenly is "not into her?"

I have no doubt that this girl will soon be very popular and that this song will climb the charts. In the greater scheme of things, it's not the worst song ever. At least she's not saying "oh he's totally right I AM stupid and useless..." I get that. But c'mon, can't a girl get a little zigazig ha every once in awhile?

No comments:

Post a Comment