Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Katie Couric - NOT Like Oprah

Katie Couric thinks her new daytime talk show will be "like Oprah" HAHAHA! Oh Katie, no one will be "like Oprah." NO ONE.

Poor Katie. Everyone had such high expectations for you, being the first solo lady news anchor on a major network and all. And then your ratings sucked, and everyone gave you a hard time. No one pointed out that all the other ratings on major networks also sucked. But that is besides the point. The point is that it is not your fault that no one watches the news on major TV networks unless they are older than age 55.

I do not blame you, Katie! I still think you are a respectable, smart and personable lady. But you will probably not be successful in your daytime talk show endeavor. Most people aren't. Except for obviously Oprah and maybe Ellen. I don't think you can be like Ellen either. Although you do have blond hair and are personable, I doubt you are as funny or as cool as Ellen.

Plus your comeback story wouldn't be as awesome, and man do we love our comeback stories! Sure, you're not on the news anymore, but you were successful for awhile and people generally like you.

You did not get shunned for being the first gay woman to come out on television and have everyone in Hollywood hate you AND THEN have everyone in Hollywood love you because being gay is cool and awesome now. Thank to Ellen. Seriously, thanks to Ellen. Cast of Glee, Eric Stonestreet, Oscar from the Office - send Ellen some cookies.

Anyway, back to Katie. Not Like Ellen. Unless maybe you have awesome dance moves like Ellen, maybe then you will stand a chance. But I doubt it...

I don't know what you should do, Katie! You're pretty famous and all so it's not like you can get a job folding pants at The Gap.

Maybe you can have a speaking career, and just go around giving advice to young women. I hear you have given some pretty good speeches, including one at Princeton in 2009 in which you said something that I think is very wise.

I'm sure you are all graduating with big career goals. You may also have a dream of being married and having a family, and at some point the career may take a backseat. There is no more challenging, rewarding or important job than being a mom. I just want to say this--sometimes dreams of domestic bliss are interrupted by reality. People get divorced. People die. You need to protect yourself. I was very happily married to a wonderful man. He was diagnosed with colon cancer and nine months later, he was gone. I was a single mom with two very young children. This was not part of the plan. Luckily, I had a career and therefore the financial independence to support my children. Many women in my situation are not nearly as fortunate. And while I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, I want you all to be prepared for the unexpected and approach some of the big life decisions you'll be making with your eyes wide open.


You are so wise, Katie! But you are not being wise about this daytime talk show thing. Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment